- Economic Dynamics
With 12,000 employees, Midi-Pyrenees is the European leader in the design and manufacture of space systems and their applications.
Midi-Pyrenees, European leader in the design and manufacture of space systems and their applications:
- Leading European employment area in this sector with 12,000 employees
- Half of the sector’s workforce in France and a quarter of Europe’s
- Toulouse, headquarters of the Aerospace Valley global competitiveness cluster in aeronautics, space, embedded systems
- A leading region in Europe for:
- Satellite design, development, integration, station acquisition and station keeping
- Satellite telecommunications
- Earth observation (imaging of continental surfaces, oceanography, meteorology and climatology) and radar technologies
- World leader in space altimetry, remote sensing, data collection, location and navigation
All professions of the space industry are present: CNES, two project managers for infrastructure, industrialists, operational service providers, engineering and consulting companies, a cluster of SMEs.
Space applications, a sector experiencing full growth (1,700 employees)
- A wide range of skills in imaging, altimetry, atmospheric probes, navigation and telecommunications
- A range of services to address societal issues and centered on users’ needs
- Players rallied around the "Midi-Pyrenees, Space at Your Service" project.
Competitiveness clusters, networks and structures dedicated to the sector
- Aerospace Valley World Competitiveness Cluster
- Galaxie Club
- Space in Midi-Pyrenees, "Midi-Pyrenees, space at your service" blueprint
- Polaris Midi-Pyrenees
- Nereus Network,...
Top French cluster for research and higher education dedicated to aeronautics and space
- More than 18,000 students trained every year in the aerospace sector
- Two of the three major French aeronautical engineering schools: ISAE (leading world complex for aerospace training and research bringing together Supaero - Ensica) and ENAC are in Midi-Pyrenees
- Initial training for careers in aeronautics: ENSEEIHT, EMAC, ENIT, INSAT, UPS, TBS
- An ambitious project: Toulouse Montaudran Aerospace, Europe’s largest university campus dedicated to aeronautics and space, bringing together dedicated universities/schools, laboratories, research platforms and accommodation on the historic site of Aeropostale.
- Unique training centers at the national level
Research & Development
50% of French researchers in the field of aeronautics and space work in Midi-Pyrenees (public research).
A research offer covering the entire network of innovations: from upstream research with RTRA STAE* and Aerospace Valley to industrial R&D, including technological research with the new IRT (Institute for Technological Research) Aeronautics, Space and Embedded Systems.
The Midi-Pyrenees region is home to world-renowned research institutions:
- LAAS (Laboratory for Systems Analysis and Architecture/CNRS)
- ONERA (The French Aerospace lab) and its large European wind tunnels
- CERFACS (European Centre for Research and Advanced Training in Scientific Calculation)
- IRIT (Toulouse Institute for Research in Computer Science)
- Midi-Pyrenees Observatory
A "must-attend" professional event in Toulouse
Toulouse Space Show, European event dedicated to space and space applications bringing together all players in the field of space - biennial in June, Toulouse, alternating with the Paris Airshow.
Toulouse Space Show 2014: 1,500 participants - 52 countries.
Find Midi-Pyrenees Expansion at numerous trade shows in the sector
- Paris Airshow: Event dedicated to the aerospace industry and latest developments and innovations in the sector - biennial - June.