- Economic Dynamics
Environment, water, energy
Midi-Pyrenees, the Green Valley.
Skills in the areas of water, eco-materials, waste management and renewable energy.
The wind of green growth is blowing in Midi-Pyrenees, encouraged by its location, sunshine of more than 2,200 hours per year, leading-edge research and an academic complex of 117,000 students.
4 strategic segments of the region’s green economy:
- Waste management
- Renewable energy
- 1,800 eco-businesses employing almost 15,500 employees
- Leading French region in the production of hydroelectricity
- Midi-Pyrenees, the 2nd largest French region for photovoltaic energy production, with an installed capacity of 284 MW as of December 31, 2011
- Midi-Pyrenees is in the top 10 of wind turbine regions, with 384 MW installed at the end of 2011
- 15,000 homes with solar water heaters, among the leading French regions
- Leading French region for surface area devoted to organic agricultural
Competitiveness cluster, networks and structures dedicated to the sector
- Water Competitiveness Cluster, evaluation and development of water resources
- Pôle DERBI, Développement des Energies Renouvelables dans le Bâtiment et l’Industrie
- WSM cluster (Water Sensors and Membranes)
- Energy Efficient Building Cluster ®, energy efficient construction practices
- Midi-Pyrenees Eco-Businesses Club, companies in the environmental field
- CACG, gestion des ressources en eau, traitement des déchets, assainissement, foncier et forêts, études et protection des milieux
- CeRCAD, Resource Centre for the Construction of Sustainable Facilities
Education & Training
A wide range of dedicated training courses, from CAP vocational qualifications to Masters or Engineering degree:
- Specialized professional degrees: ENR, treatment and recovery of waste, new materials, etc.
- Fifty high level dedicated training courses relating to the environment as well as a Post-graduate course in Sustainable Development "Cycle des Hautes Etudes du Développement Durable (CHEDD)" UPS Toulouse III, INPT, INSA, Université Toulouse II Le Mirail, TBS, ENVT, EMAC,ENSEEIHT
- More than a dozen organizations active in vocational training and continuing education
- LAAS-CNRS: 2nd French solar photovoltaic laboratory
- Other recognized laboratories in renewable energies: LAPLACE (organic photovoltaic cells), CNES (wind turbine arrays), LGC (microbial fuel cells), the RAPSODEE Centre for Research of the Ecole des Mines d’Albi-Carmaux (biomass and solar), etc.
- An R&D cluster joining Albi, Toulouse and Tarbes on membrane filtration and detection of pollutants
- Major skills in agro-materials (LCA, LISBP)
- A dozen organizations devoted to networking, technology transfer and innovation.
- TP BAT Sud-Ouest, sustainable construction trade show
- Avenir Bois, tradeshow of professionals in the forest-products industry
- Les Tables Rondes de Tarn & Dadou, series of meetings and managerial debates (photovoltaic, eco-friendly construction, local energy)
- Salon Eco-Energie Midi-Pyrénées, annual eco-energy trade show at Decazeville (Aveyron)
- Pollutec Lyon: MPE and CCI Midi-Pyrenees support the regional companies at the largest European trade show dedicated to the environment.