- Economic Dynamics
This transversal industrial sector with numerous fields (land and air transportation, medical, etc.) in Midi-Pyrenees has strong technical skills, markets and an ideal industrial diversity to expand internationally.
Midi-Pyrenees, a cradle of automotive electronics and avionics, has the highest concentration in Europe players in embedded systems applied to transport (space, aeronautics, automotive, rail, etc.).
The region, thanks to a high concentration of academic and scientific know-how, is a center of excellence and innovation for global engineering and certification of critical systems, as well as for power electronics in France.
- 250 companies
- 20,000 employees
- World leader in civil aviation
- European leader in space systems and their applications
- European leader in automotive embedded systems
- 25% of France’s resources in human-systems interaction
Main Industrial Players
4 areas of expertise
Critical systems and dependability
Midi-Pyrenees designs safety and security solutions for the future.
For example, Midi-Pyrenees innovates through the concept of IT resilience (ability of a system to continue operation in case of breakdown) the work of the European Network of Excellence, ReSIST - coordinated by LAAS-CNRS - and recognized internationally.
Always a step ahead in terms of languages in Midi-Pyrenees.
Regional prime contractors have long been able to count on open source software that provides them with concrete and unique answers (productivity and added value).
RTEMS, this open-source engine of embedded software on satellites developed for ESA, is an example of the component that can be found today in many Airbus Defence and Space projects.
System and software engineering
An impressive track record in Midi-Pyrenees.
The region has acquired a high level of skills, particularly in model-based development, in automatic code generation and in advanced verification tools.
Thanks to a high concentration of players, in Midi-Pyrenees tools such as RTRT (IBM), SCADE (Esterel), the Hood method, Reqtify (Geensys), and TOPCASED-AADL have emerged.
For example, Airbus uses formal verification methods of electrical flight control software to ensure the safety of its aircraft.
Midi-Pyrenees has its eye out for system bugs - with an on-going lead in standards.
Actia, for example, leader in the diagnosis and manufacture of embedded automotive systems and telecommunications, is the first manufacturer in Europe to obtain NADCAP* certification in the field of electronics assembly.
*NADCAP, Accreditation program for aerospace companies
Main players in education
From the CAP vocational training qualification in the Maintenance of Embedded Systems for automobiles, to the Specialized Master’s in the prestigious Grande Ecoles engineering schools and Paul Sabatier University, the key skills related to embedded systems are taught in Midi-Pyrenees. 16 higher education and research institutions, including:
- ENAC: National School of Civil Aviation
- INP-ENSEEIHT: National School of Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Computer Science, Hydraulics and Telecommunications
- INP-ENSIACET: National School of Engineers in Chemical and Technological Arts
- INSA: National Institute of Applied Sciences, Toulouse
- ISAE: Aerospace Engineering School
Main players sought after in the embedded systems
- IRIT (700 people): Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse (Toulouse Computer Science Research Institute) offers one of the strongest research potentials in computer science in France.
- ONERA (420 people): The Office National d’Etudes et de Recherches Aérospatiales (National Office of Aerospace Studies and Research) has its deepest roots in civil aviation at Toulouse and 20% of its national workforce.
- LAPLACE (300 people): the first concentration of research in the field of power (electronics and systems) at the national level.
Mais aussi : CEMES-CNRS (Development Center for Materials and Structural Studies), CERFACS (European Centre for Research and Advanced Training in Scientific Computation), CIRIMAT (Inter-university Centre for Materials Research and Engineering), CNES (National Centre for Space Studies), ITAV (Institute of Advanced Technologies in Life Sciences), TESA (Aeronautical and Space Telecommunications)...
Aerospace Valley, Global Competitiveness Cluster in Midi-Pyrenees
Established in 2005, with more than 500 members, Aerospace Valley is a cluster dedicated to Aeronautics, Space and Embedded Systems. Over 50% of the cluster’s projects concern embedded systems. Moreover, applications of these embedded systems address all industrial sectors of transport (air, rail, automobile) and increasingly the health sector.
Efficient and unique facilities in Europe
- CEA Gramat: Reference center for Defense in vulnerability of systems and effectiveness of weaponry.
- DGA Techniques Aéronautiques: Main European center for assessment and ground testing to evaluate civil and military aircraft platforms.
- INTESPACE, subsidiary of Airbus Defence and Space: Environment tests essential for the qualification of systems and equipment.
- ONERA: Leading French laboratory in R&T aerospace and defense.
- Aeromart Toulouse: Biennial international business convention of aerospace industries in December.
- CTIC-Certification Together International Conference: The first event in Europe entirely dedicated to certification of systems, software and hardware in October 2010.
- DeciElec: Biennial business convention and conference of embedded systems and management of energy systems in April.
- ERTS²: Embedded Real Time Software and Systems biennial in February.
- Topcased days: Three days of conferences, presentations, sharing of experiences about Topcased tools in February.
- Toulouse Space Show: Biennial international week of aerospace industries in June.
- Club of LAAS affiliated members: scientific and technological intelligence organization.
- EICOSE: european Institute for Critical Systems Engineering
- JEInnov: association of JEI for training, network, financing, lobbying.
- JESSICA: association dedicated to the innovation distribution through communicating electronic devices, RFID, mechatronics.
- La Mêlée: umbrella association of stakeholders of the digital economy in Midi-Pyrenees.
- Mipyrail: association for the promotion of the rail transport industry in Midi-Pyrenees.
- Automotech Cluster: association for the promotion of the automotive sector in Midi-Pyrenees.
- Toulibre: association of users and developers of free software in the Toulouse region.
- Digital Place: cluster of digital companies in the Midi-Pyrenees region.